Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Simple Act

My sister-in-law is an angel! 
Today was just one of those days.  
A day like many stay at home moms might encounter.
 Waking up already tired, cleaning messes that don't stay clean, making meals kids refuse to eat, disciplining & reprimanding then being told "I hate you, mom!", kids not listening...
 the usual. 
I've also taken on a challenge of making a slipcover for my "new" Craigslist Crate & Barrel rocker I just got for the nursery. Since I've now learned what a zipper foot is, and was able to sew a bumper pad with piping, I guess I figured I could handle a challenge. So as I dealt with my day as a mom, a 33 week pregnant mom I might add,  I also tackled my slipcover. With TED talks playing on the background, (I've been going through this list) I tried to fight off the negative thoughts that kept popping into my head today. 
"You are not an experienced enough sewer to do this."
"This probably won't even turn out right."
"Why did you think this was a good idea."
"Listen to how those kids talk to you! You are really failing at this mother thing."
"Why haven't you taught your children to listen & obey better."
"You look so frumpy & huge. You really are letting yourself go."
"Why aren't you able to be more on top of things & keep up with all the chores."

You get the idea. 
By now, you are probably feeling a bit depressed. And, may be thinking why is she writing this down. Well, let me get back to the cupcake. Just a simple gesture from my thoughtful sister in law made my day. Not just because her cupcakes are divine, but because it reminded me that someone was thinking about me. 
So many of the themes in the talks I could see in my own life or see where it could be applied.
Desire for connection
Take risks & realize mistakes are okay
Fake it until you believe it
Realizing children's individuality & not hindering their creativity
Inspiring those around you by believing in what it is you do
And always giving to others

There are so many "angels" around me, and I hope to remember that in days like today & everyday that I can try to think of someone else... And even better, do something for them. 

My slipcover a third of the way complete. Imperfect. Just like me. And that's what makes it perfect.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are such a wonderful person! Your boys are very sweet and kind. I love when I get to see them! I'm sure it is hard having boys all together like that, but I promise you they love you and they are turning out great!

Remember when we had that family reunion in Idaho when Shawn was taking the bar? At one point you were crying and I was trying to keep Orin occupied. It was no use because as soon as he saw you crying the only thing he wanted to do was give you a hug and be with you. He kept saying No! Mommy crying!

Also, you have a beautiful home and I know Audrey's room will be wonderful! That chair is going to look AMAZING!

And lastly you are very beautiful and don't you forget it!